Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Hello, La La Land


Check out my new fancy banner for the blog! My lovely friend Sandra made it and I’m just as obsessed with it as I am with her. She’s an incredible artist and hilarious and beautiful and sassy and smart and was also my first friend in Paris. She helped me with directions, the language, to the clubs, etc and in return I would take her e-cigarette, the kind that smells like hazelnut, and hide it in my purse to freak her out. She put up with a lot. Check out her other awesome artwork here.

I hopped on the plane, Miley!
Of course I Frenchify my blog NOW, just as I’ve left France and officially moved to Los Angeles, but let’s just say it’s a part of my past that I ain’t letting go (plus it’s just so darn pretty!). I used to walk those winding cobblestone streets of Le Marais, climb the hill up to the Sacre Coeur, bike my way down le Canal St. Martin and take in the beautiful buildings and people. Now, I live my life in a car.

It’s been just over two weeks now in la la land. I’m still here. I’m still alive. It’s funny, in all of the interviews I’ve had so far (trust me, not THAT many) I keep getting asked, “how long are you planning to stay this time?” And I kind of wanna be like “you don’t know what I’ve been through!!” but it’s nice to be able to honestly answer, “this is where I want to be.”  And then I get the rejection emails or worse, no response, and I cry and think, “why oh why did I leave you, baguette land? You had such delicious baguettes!”

The rain stays mainly off the plain
But it’s been exciting. And HOT. I feel like my sweat glands and B.O. have strengthened since Europe (or maybe with age!) and I need deodorant constantly. Or maybe it’s the nerves that I’ve just bought a car and signed a lease and will soon be lacking health insurance… ALL while being the U word. No, not Uranus, UNEMPLOYED. Shocked emoji!!!

It’s not so bad. I haven’t quite freaked out yet, perhaps because I’ve laid out a general game plan of all the steps I’ll take and how desperate I’m willing to get before I’ve achieved wealth and stardom, and while I won’t bore you with the details it will involve a lot of crying and home cooked pasta. But people smile a lot here, and it’s quite encouraging. I’ve reached out to friends, acquaintances, even strangers and been surprised by just how many strangers are not really strangers at all. As well as how many strangers are on drugs. Speaking of awful things you consume, vegan options are literally everywhere. It’s like Forever 21 for herbivores… there’s almost too many options that you feel nauseous and all you want is a juicy steak but it’s nowhere to be found. Fear not, there’s In & Out around the corner. All life problems solved.
the Mecca

I still get pissed off about some things like increased car insurance or paying double in rent what I did in Paris or $15 dollar parking for my one hour doctor’s appointment and generally all things concerning money, but money can’t buy you love, right? But maybe it can buy me a job with benefits? Or a pool? Honestly, if probably could buy me love if I had enough. It’s fun to dream, ain’t it.


Like I said, I'm excited to be here. I've been a little Dora the Explorer and vamonosing my ass around to the different hoods. Culver. Westwood. Beverly. WeHo. HoWe (it's fun to say!). Spoke a little Francais here, a little Español there (and a little 'konichiwa!' at the ramen shop!) There's tons of diversity if you look for it, not on screen, but in all the little pockets that make up this massive suburbia. And I'm excited to Dora my way around some more. 

I can't wait to share more with mom and Cynthia and whoever else reads this. I’ve already got enough material for many a blog post to come, many a giggle, many a tear. I’ve brought up crying quite a bit in this rather scattered post. It is 2:30 in the morning (PST, biatch!) and I just finished off my roommate's quart of ice cream. I guess you could say I'm on a roll. With my writing. With my move. That ice cream. And with this page: I just scrolled up again to see my friend’s artwork and wow, what a pretty place I called home. So far away now. I feel you, Carole King. But now I'm here. Home is where the heart is. A very hot, expensive home. 

1 comment:

  1. Love!! Seriously though-the whole you turn 26 and get left for dead thing, it's a real drag. Keep on keepin on, the world needs more creatives with a rockin sense of humor and real insight! You're awesome! Cheers to your adventures in LA miss thing!!

    ReplyDelete