Monday, September 24, 2012

France reminds me of Chicago when....


1. You eat at buffets. 























Who says only Americans go up for seconds? With an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet of freshly caught goodies right from the Mediterranean sea, you bet I'ma get my grub on. They don't say 'bon appetit' for nothing.

2. Eccentric cows take over the city. 



















It wasn't until the fourth cow that I idiotically pointed to and exclaimed "they had these where I'm from!" that I realized Toulouse is now the host city for the same Cows on Parade exhibit Chicago held back in 1999. Apparently this show displaying 'interesting' works of local artists happens all over the world, yet still quite a coinkidink, dontcha think?

3. People dance.


















The French may never admit it, but whether it's a synthesized "Call Me Maybe" or the man on stage trying his best to sing an incomprehensible "All of Me," American tunes still get those Europeans all jittered up.

4.  You find things that make you laugh.
























Kids on leashes.  LOLz.

Things that the French Have That I Could Get Used To:


1. Eating Outside The Café from the film Amélie


















I absolutely love how they make snack time an occasion rather than just sneaking Cheez-its from under your desk.  Friends, lovers and coworkers will sit for hours over a café or coca light to laugh and reminiscence... and most likely gossip, but in French it still sounds oh so romantic. 

2. Wine all day every day



















And I thought I had it made with Trader Joe's. Here you'll walk into Carrefour (the European Walmart) and find every bottle of wine under 10€... and believe me, those 2€ bottles are plenty good enough for a pregame.


3.  Men on the street who are bringing sexyback























Like, seriously, dude... it's a Wednesday afternoon! But I'll admit, though never a fan of the skinny jeans, the men here sure put me to shame when it comes to lookin' fly. 

4. Feeling like I'm on the movie set for  Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants



















Pretty hard not to fall in love when the only thing keeping you from the sea, mountains and beautiful architecture is that patisserie up the hill that smells too good to pass up.



No comments:

Post a Comment